Read the full article by Monica Amarelo (EWG)
“Today the Environmental Working Group applauds the House Armed Services Committee for including several provisions to tackle the ‘forever chemicals‘ known as PFAS in the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2024.
The bill, H.R. 2670, introduced by Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (R-Ala.), passed through the panel last night. It would:
- Prohibit the Defense Department from buying some household items containing specific PFAS and require the DOD to report on efforts to identify and phase out purchasing non-essential uses of PFAS.
- Ensure periodic health exams for Armed Forces members include a PFAS exposure assessment and require the DOD to provide blood tests to service members who were likely exposed to PFAS.
- Require the DOD to submit a report that includes a list of locations with known PFAS contamination of a drinking water system attributable to the department.
- Require the DOD to give each medical provider mandatory training on the potential health effects of PFAS.
- Require the DOD to report on whether non-incineration technologies can be incorporated into the department’s strategy for disposal of PFAS and PFAS-containing wastes.
‘Hundreds of communities across the country are still grappling with the effects of 50 years of DOD PFAS pollution,’ said Scott Faber, EWG senior vice president for government affairs. ‘This legislation will get us closer to bringing long-awaited relief to those communities.
‘We applaud Chairman Rogers, Ranking Member Adam Smith (D.-Wash.) and Reps. Elissa Slotkin (D-Mich.), Jack Bergman (R-Mich.), Mikie Sherrill (D-N.J.), Michael Turner (R-Ohio), Bill Posey (R-Fla.), Chrissy Houlahan (D-Penn.), Gabe Vasquez (D-N.M.) and Jen Kiggans (R-Va) for making PFAS a priority,’ Faber said.
PFAS have been confirmed at more than 400 military installations, and hundreds more may be contaminated. Studies show exposure to very low levels of PFAS can increase the risk of cancer, harm fetal development and reduce vaccine effectiveness.”…