Suspected contamination source: Firefighting foam used at former Naval Air Warfare Center in Warminster and former Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base in Horsham, along with the active Horsham Air Guard Station and Willow Grove Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base (NASJRB) (Arazia, 2016)
Perfluorinated compounds were a key ingredient in the firefighting foams used at these bases for decades. EPA data shows samples from the three townships were among the 10 highest for both perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) nationwide.
For more information on Pennsylvania PFAS contamination, The Intelligencer has an ongoing series of articles and information on the investigation.
- Information on Perfluorinated Chemicals (PFOA AND PFOS)
- Perfluorinated Chemicals fact sheet
- Warrington Township Water Contamination Information
- Letter to Representative Stephens regarding PFOA and PFOS in Bucks and Montgomery Counties drinking water
- Erin Brockovich Law Firm Investigating Contaminated Water in Montgomery County
- Pa. health department to begin blood testing for PFAS